Translate

Friday, March 02, 2012

Faking Yourself Into Better Deals.

Share
As the TV actor barely held on to the enormous sandwich, his hamburger look tempting enough for me to drive to the advertised fast food joint in my pajamas. Fortunately, I know a few things about advertising, so reason prevailed. That and a large pizza in the oven.

The makers of commercials must think we are idiots. For example, most of us know that the actor is just a tad over 3 feet tall. Since a mini muffin will look like a five layer cake in his hands, it's no surprise that the tantalizing, overpriced, tiny hamburger will look it like it could feed most of Ethiopia.

Still, I think the advertisers on to something. People are more likely to surrender their hard-earned money when you make an overvalued object seem like a better deal than it really is.

So let’s put this philosophy to use. The next time you go to a gas station, have a child hold the handle in its wee hands while you watch the rapid changing price on the pump display. Then you can say to yourself in amazement, “I must be getting a great deal on my gas! Look at how much fuel is being pumped by those small hands!“

Yes, I know. As gas prices go higher, we’ll eventually need a newborn to pump our gas. But think of the deal that we'll be getting on our petrol purchase. And we'll need a pacifier to help choke back our tears.

No comments: