Translate

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

What's Funny About Saddam?

Share
I've read that comedy is truth plus pain. Listening to the news reports on Saddam Hussein's execution, I'm having a hard time coming up with anything funny. Anyone can do a 'Sodom Insane' name change. So I asked myself, "Why did Saddam cross the road?" Given his history, I could only think "To kill more Iraqis on the other side." My thought of "How many Iraqis does it take to change a Saddam?" led to "No one knows. Over ten thousand tried and ended up dying." Hardly side splitting ... unless you're being tortured. And maybe that's why there aren't any Iraqi comedians --- they keep bombing.

History has lots of genuine monsters masquerading as human beings. Of course there are going to be the few that defend these monsters. And then there are the rest of us who hope that justice will be served. The more evidence of this --- by word, by picture, by any means --- the better.

No comments: