Translate

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Neither Snow Nor Ice

Share
...shall make me think twice about driving around here. Over the next 12 hours, a little excitement and drama might be coming to central North Carolina. This is a part of the state where betting on the weather is a Las Vegas event. This morning, the weather gurus said we had a chance of a ice for Thursday morning. This evening we are now under a winter weather advisory. But I'm not worried. I've been here long enough to expect everything from a little misty rain to a few inches of snow or worse yet, ice. Still, the counties that I drive through have closed schools for tomorrow. So when I get up tomorrow morning, I'll be watching the TV. I will also be using the old-fashioned weather tool: stepping outside, looking around and feeling the ground. But my favorite tools are two sites that I found very helpful:
US Government NOAA Weather
Intellicast.com's Snow Forecast

Anyone can use these sites. When you visit, simply take your mouse pointer and click in the general area of where you live. The site will then bring up a more detailed look for your area. In the case of NOAA site, it will show you any weather advisories by county, along with the legend that explains which advisory you may be under.

Hopefully the morning will bring only light rain. Unfortunately too many drivers around here believe one speed (fast) fits all weather conditions. So should the roads prove treacherous, I will remain here and leave the roads to the idiots.

[This post was entirely dictated to and transcribed by Naturally Speaking 9, Preferred edition. Cool, huh!]

No comments: