Translate

Friday, January 12, 2007

21 Million Bloggers in China

Share
This morning, I read an article from Xinhua news agency that said China now has 20.8 million bloggers. As a result, their government wants all users to register with their real names before blogging. "The real names of bloggers will be kept private as long as they do no harm to the public interest." according to China Internet Survey Report 2007. Of course, given the nature and history of China's government, "no harm to the public interest" means no criticism of rules, regulations or policies. Agree?

The other item that interested me in that article was the how much a Chinese web user spends online on average. For about $22 every month, they pay for the costs of web access, online shopping and games. I spend $45 just for web access! But I don't think I'll be moving to China for cheap Internet.

No comments: