Translate

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Drive-In Movies

Share
I spent my high school years nestled in the curves of the White Mountains of New Hampshire in the small town of Gorham. Even though there was less than three thousand people in the town, we had a drive-in movie theater perched on top of Gorham hill. The drive-in was like a huge, white flag, just inviting people from the surrounding counties to stop and visit --- which they did. It would open just after Memorial day and close just before Labor day every year. I have a lot of fond memories of my friends and my family making a big deal out of going there. It wasn't so much about going to see the movie as it was about socializing and building kinship.

A few years ago, when I returned to Gorham to bury my mother, I found that the drive-in had also passed on. Its remains had been covered by streets and new houses. The only thing left are the fond memories of those who shared its cinema glow. I miss those days.

No comments: