Translate

Friday, February 09, 2007

Trouble in PPP Land

Share
Over the years I've had the privilege of working with various companies. Each one had its unique style of management. One was a copier company whose owner considered himself a shrewd businessman. He turned out be nothing more than a shady salesman. He would make promises to the customer about their newly purchased copy machine. I would then have to go in behind him and explain that the machine was not capable of the features promised. I must have done a decent job in satisfying the customer's concerns because we rarely had a machine returned. I worked for another company that must've had a plaque hidden somewhere. If you could have found it, it would have read "Why test? That's why we have customers." In each case, the support people worked to do a good job, the development teams did everything they could to ensure a quality product. In the end, it was upper management's decisions that would sabotage all that good work.

After this week's chaotic adventure with PayPerPost, I'm wondering if something similar hasn't taken place. Right now, PayPerPost support and development teams are doing everything they can to fix the fiasco caused by the software rollout done earlier this week. There is a lot of talk on the forum about the troubles bloggers are having. But no one is really addressing why such issues would be allowed to happen in the first place. Here's my guess: It seems that PayPerPost management has made promises of segmentation features to advertisers. In order to secure the advertiser business as quickly as possible, they released features that had not been properly tested. As a result, many bloggers were unable to post about advertisers' opportunities. It almost seems as if management was thinking along the following lines: we now have a large base of bloggers , some that cover the more demanding requirements of our advertisers (known as segmentation). If we delay rollout of segmentation, we may lose advertisers dollars. If we go ahead and proceed with the rollouts now, many bloggers won't be able to post but we have enough that will be able to. We can fix any problems as we go along and have the advertisers business immediately.

Could this be the case? PayPerPost does have some serious investors behind it now. Perhaps they had to decide between doing everything right with a delay on ROI (return on investment) or to have a quicker ROI by using a system that is somewhat functional. On the one hand, they risk losing advertisers who are their source of income. On the other hand, they risk losing bloggers who are their source of expense. Despite the wailing and gnashing-of-teeth from frustrated bloggers, a couple of things are obvious:
- When PayPerPost makes promises to advertisers, they are committed to those promises regardless.
- PayPerPost now has a sufficiently large base of bloggers that will allow it to weather any disastrous impacts to that base.

I have no idea what went on in Florida. I have no idea why they didn't release one feature at a time to ensure quality. This post is just my pure speculation about a business that I want desperately to succeed. I could be wrong. I often am. Then again, a hundred years from now, who is going to remember this event? Certainly, not me. In a thousand years, I doubt anyone will care. For now, this is definitely an Adapt, Adopt and Improve situation for the bloggers and for PayPerpost. And I selfishly want all of us to survive this.

Digg!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not so sure you are wrong about this one. It's been frustrating to say the least for the past couple of weeks at PPP and this week has topped them all for patience in posting. It seems that with the intensity of the new releases, there are numerous opportunities, and I'm not talking about opps to post so much as being able to take an opportunity. After all, what good is a page or blog ranking tool if it isn't working properly, to the end it is excluding people from taking the opps? If one were to think for too long a period of time, one might wonder if the recruitment of new bloggers into any given company in such great numbers might be a sort of "fishing" adventure. You know, like the ones where once you have the net full, you toss out the small fish and keep the big ones. Make sense? In any event, I agree with you, there is definitely trouble in PPP land and hopefully it will all be resolved soon!

PS Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

I think you are close to having it pegged. However, it is the responsibility of the support teams and the development teams to veto a decision to go live with a product that is not ready and tested.

If I take my car in to have new brakes put on, and it gets close to closing time and the manager tells me to pay the bill, take my car and go even though the mechanic has not cleared the car, its the mechanics job to step in and say, "hey buddy, your breaks do not work! Don't drive that car"

I have no idea how much testing went into this implementation but we have all seen the results. The answer is that it was probably not enough. Whether that is a hind sight conclusion or not I can not say.

I have worked with companies that could never get through a testing process at all because they could not get the last minute thing fixed and the product languished in some super old version. sometimes companies make the choice to go live with something that is only 90% ready, and then they work like hell to get it 99%.

That is a gamble and some businesses can afford that type of gamble and some can not.

Bottom line is that it may have been a push by upper management to move forward with a rollout because of promises made to advertisers and elite bloggers, but at the end of the day its the responsibility of the PPP team to tell the emperor if he's running around with out any pants on.

Softduit Partners

goldengoddess said...

week. there is a lot of talk on the forum about the troubles bloggers are having.

suggests:

week. There is a lot of talk on the forum about the troubles bloggers are having.

:* I love your mind ... and the rest of you is HOT too!

Anon A. Mus said...

I agree that it is the responsibility of everybody involved to point out the mistake of proceeding with that project. In fact, in the spring of last year, we pointed out a potential flaw in a replacement part to the VPs of engineering, quality and purchasing. After a lot of deliberation and supporting evidence for our claims, upper management decided to use the part because of the cost savings. Their rationalization was that the failure mode would rarely, if ever, be experienced by the customer. A few months ago, we began getting product returns due to that exact failure mode. As those returns increased, our customer naturally became very concerned. We are now in the midst of a recall. Our reputation with our customer is damaged. And of course the cost savings from cheaper part has been nullified.

This isn't the first time that this type of situation has happened. And unfortunately, I've seen similar situations happen in the companies that my friends work for. While we point out to the emperor that he has no clothes, the only real choice we have in the matter is to keep our resumes updated.

Rick said...

I've been pretty nice on the PPP boards, but I honestly think management has fallen on its face here. If I were an investor, I'd have serious concerns about the long-term viability of this team and the programmers as well, who can't seem to fix whatever is wrong after two days.

If they're not working on it over the weekend, I'd be in their face on Monday morning.

I've called this kind of activity (rolling out without warning or testing) "doing an eBay" because in the early days 1999-2001 of ebay they did this kind of thing routinely. I should add, however, that their engineers would have problems resolved in HOURS, not DAYS.

So, PPP has exceeded even the dubious record of ebay this time around. What's interesting is that nobody has mentioned the old saw, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it." Well, now I did.

BTW: I use the same skin on my blog, Downtown Magazine Blog I'm adding a link to you and would appreciate you adding me to your blogroll.

Thanks,

Rick

VC Dan said...

I've seen beta releases this large from many angles: engineer, management and investor (as in tbis case). While I'd love the releases to be bug free, this one was better than average. I've also seen a spectrum of satisfaction across the Posties -- particularly when you balance the new functions against the remaining bugs. The team needs to learn from this process and constantly improve, but they get my kudos for their efforts so far...

Anon A. Mus said...

As a developer of hardware and software, I can imagine very well the pressure and the frustration that developers of PayPerPost have at this point. If there heroes are to be named in the story, then it would be those developers. But what gave rise to this post is not the software bugs. Nor is it the majority of the Posties who are dissatisfied from being unable to take opportunities. The idea for this post came about from a comment made by one of the PayPerPost representatives. I suggested that PPP remove the blocks that prevented qualified blogs from taking opps. Her response was that this could not be done because promises of segmentation had already been made to the advertisers. With that comment, it became clear that this problem was not about bugs in the code. If it had been, it would have been any easy fix and PayPerPost would not have a majority of their posties dissatisfied with them. From my own experience as an engineer, manager, businessman, it became clear why there is trouble in PPP land --- and this post was born.

Anonymous said...

vc dan, I think we all pretty much agree with you about the staff at PPP working hard and being deserving of praise. However, as far as satisfaction across the Posties at PPP from a blogger standpoint, I can't imagine that out of nearly 15,000 bloggers that most are happy about the current functionality. I love the bells and whistles, but I am not at all satisfied with the blog ratings and the opps I am allowed to take. Because PPP has a glitch in the system, I am not allowed to take the opps I know I am qualified to take. I understand it's a problem they are working on, but it doesn't ease the frustration. My Google rating is a PR3 and it doesn't even register within the walls of PPP. So, where the posties who have even higher rating that this roll out did not effect, great! But for those of us that it did effect, it's not a good thing and I am sure there are more than a handful this has effected across the Posties. I think it is important to remember that not everyone goes to the PPP Boards to read, much less report a problem. So, "across the Posties" may be a vague assumption unless there is something I am missing. Thanks for sharing and for not throwing any tomato's my way :) ... ducking anyway ;)

Anonymous said...

:( Sorry if I was being a bit bitchy about vc dan's comment ... I wasn't trying to rip at anyone ... just got frustrated that he seems to think that there are so few posties effected by this roll out. Nice edit on the original post ... I love you :* Going out to run an errand, hope to hear your sweet voice later on tonight ... :*

Your GG