Translate

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Alexa Experiment

Share
Ok, I can rant and show that the Alexa rating is just a step above reading a horoscope. But it is believed in enough to be a factor to some online businesses. So let's see if I can 'game' my score, that is, improve it through my direct efforts. At the moment, Alexa rates this blog at 1,025,188. In other words, Alexa thinks there are over a million blogs with better traffic. Possibly. I track the number of visitors and repeat visits. Compared to my other blog, this one has more traffic. Yet, my other site, "Life Under Construction", has a rating of 70.

So to improve this blog's rating, I have done the following:
1) added an Alexa widget to this page,
2) added a search extension to my Firefox browser, at home and at work. As I visit my page once a day, Alexa will register my hit.

Let the *gaming* begin!

3 comments:

Kat said...

You have a 70 on your other site because it is pulling that data from LJ itself, not because you are a supahstar...LOL

But don't forget, we made a deal, I visit your site every day, you visit mine.

I also found something else I have running in the background that I'm testing. If I see massive improvements with it by Friday, I'll share it with ya. I don't want to pass on to anyone something that isn't going to work.
I will let you know by Friday if that test is worth the hassle.

Kat said...

Oh yeah, one more thing that will help both of us. Go to my site and click on my widget all the way at the bottom of my very long sidebar;) and click it.
Once there on my alexa page, click the review this site button next to my sites name.
Write a review for me.
I'm going to write one for you right now.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to have some help understanding this one. I visited the sites for both gadgets and not sure what it all means :) Maybe you can splain it to me later today.

Thanks :)