Translate

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Remember This Charity Walk for Alzheimer's

Share
I was reading that three things happen to you as you age. First your memory starts to go. Next there is...um, well, I seem to forgotten the other two. Lately it seems that my memory isn't quite as reliable as it used to be. I don't know if it's just the stress of these past few years taking their toll. But at times it's been embarrassing, if not downright scary, when I find myself forgetting the name of someone I've known for several years. There may be a bright side if this trend continues. One year I may find that I can hide my Easter eggs and, a few moments later, have the thrill of trying to find them. I'm trying to laugh about these recent bouts of lapses in memory. Yet, in the back of my mind, there's a small fear that grows slightly with each incident of forgetfulness. That fear goes by the name of Alzheimer's.

It wasn't until 1901 when a German psychiatrist, Alois Alzheimer, documented the first case of this disease that now bears his name. In the hundred years that followed his initial case study, we have learned more about this debilitating disease. It is much more than just occasional forgetfulness. The onset of the disease also shows up as a difficulty in orienting yourself in space -- such as walking down the aisle in the grocery store. As Alzheimer's progresses, there is a marked deterioration in short-term memory. A person will also begin to become disoriented in areas they used to know so well. At this point, there can be noticeable changes in the behavior of the afflicted, such as violent outbursts or extreme passivity.

While the symptoms and the causes of Alzheimer's are better known today, there still isn't a cure. To help in the research, I want to direct your attention to a nationwide Fundraising event. Set for the Autumn of this year, this vital charity walk is in need of our support. Please go to this site and type in your zip code to find the nearest memory walk in your area. I encourage you to sign up as a team captain for this very important function while it is still early. It is quite possible that the memory you help to save may be your own.

1 comment:

goldengoddess said...

Awesome post! I have had three loved ones in my life who were directly affected by Alzheimer's. It makes one thankful to be healthy, and to have one's children and families healthy. Like so many of us, I'll remain hopeful that a cure will soon be found!