Translate

Friday, August 03, 2007

Beating The Cubicle Game

Share
A few years ago at work, I was being bounced from one cubicle to another. It is extremely difficult to develop test equipment and write code when you're having to set up and tear down your tools every few months. So when an office in a remote part of the plant became vacant, I quickly became a stealthy squatter. The office was ideal because it had whiteboards covering one of the long walls. And instead of one of those small office desks, the room held one of those large conference tables. I spent the next few months quietly moving my books, test equipment and computers into my soon-to-be new home. And, before anyone noticed, I had a new permanent base of operation. Since then, many of my colleagues have had to either move within the plant a few times or move outside the plant because they were laid off. But I'm still in my little hiding hole in the back of the plant. Maybe they forgot about me.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

I bet if you started moving in a bed and a dresser, they might remember you're there... and then start charging you rent! ;)

goldengoddess said...

Somehow I don't think they could find it in your office, eh?

;)