Translate

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Wireless at RDU

Share
The difference between a good airport and a great airport is how comfortable and convenient they make your travel. Last year when I flew out of Charlotte and Nashville, I was able to use the FREE wireless Internet service at these busy airports. I updated my sisters and my children with a few emails. I made myself a valuable employee by doing a little work. Before I knew it, my flights were ready to wing me across the country.

Today I called RDU to see how far into the 21st century they have progressed. Yes, they have wireless Internet connections. Great! ...for a fee of $10. What! Why? With wireless so prevalent and inexpensive, even the McDonald's in my area have free wireless access.

Maybe if I arrive several hours ahead of my flight, I could justify this ridiculous charge. Yet, why does RDU charge? Mainly, because they can get away with it. They have so many business travelers passing through who need the service. It's like having your own unlimited supply of water and then charging people for drink during a drought.

Oh well. My flight will take almost 8 hours. I know my laptop battery won't last the trip. I'll just bring several books and my sketch pad.

Getting online isn't going to make me a million. But then getting online shouldn't cost me a million either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could always take a small soft pillow for a much needed nap and dreams of being held by a beautiful blonde ... both ways ;)