Translate

Friday, December 22, 2006

Nadolig LLawen

Share
I don't know if you noticed how much you miss someone until they are gone forever. No way to share things that you used to share with each other. No way to have your questions answered. This has been my regrets since my parents have died. Sometimes I wonder which could be worse, being orphaned before you had a chance to build memories with your parents or being orphaned after you have built a wealth of memories?

Anyway, I was doing good until I received a card from my aunt in England. Much of my mother's family is related to Wales in some fashion --- through marriage, by ancestry. I never took the time to explore those links as I wish that I could now. There were stories that Mom would tell me from time to time.

And now I have a card that says "Nadolig LLawen", literally "Christmas Merry". How do I say this? I have lost a part of my roots. Fortunate for me, there is the Internet.

At urbandictionary.com, I found "The 'LL' in Llawen is intranscribable in English, but is produced by pressing the front and sides of the tongue to the top of the mouth and simply exhaling, so a sound similar to the 'ttl' in settle, but without the harsh 'T' sound, is produced."

I hope that you have a very merry "Nadolig LLawen" and "A Blwyddyn Newydd Dda" May you build some good long lasting memories with your family.

No comments: