Translate

Thursday, June 07, 2012

How to write a novel.

Share
It's easy I'm told. Just write 250 to 300 words a day, you will have a novel at the end of a year.

Yeah. Or, as would be in my case, a collection of 100,000 words and a hope that the novel fairy will put a novel under my pillow. Something I can chew on during my sleep. When I awake, I can complain that someone has been putting words in my mouth. Maybe my girlfriend will be close by so she can take the words right out of my mouth. (Not that that has ever happened before.) How's that for a novel idea!

I guess collecting words wouldn't a bad hobby. Daniel Webster made a dictionary with his collection. And, so far, the TV show "Hoarders" hasn't featured anyone hoarding words. (Squirreling away books and magazines doesn't count. That's just amassing paper that has letter patterns.)

The secret to writing that novel, or collecting words, is ... to start: first an idea, turn it into a letter, then a word, followed by more words, then a sentence, then a paragraph. Putting off the 'start' step - or if you like big words: procrastination - gets you nowhere. Perhaps I could start by writing a mystery, science-fiction, romance book about procrastination. I could call it "Read Me Later When You Love Me On the Moon. (How Did We Get There?)"

Maybe not. Jumping into writing a book on procrastination seems self-defeating.

No comments: