Translate

Saturday, January 01, 2011

My Future Prediction (part 1)

Share
Some people believe that their clothes dryer eats one sock during each load of wet clothing. Others believe that pairs of socks have marital-type disputes with each other, causing one of them to leave and never be seen or heard from again.

I believe in the opposite. Socks do not turn up missing. Rather, they magically increase by one each time you put them together as a wet group into the dryer. I don't know how they do this. That's why the process is called magical.

I believe the same thing happens with baby clothes. While my daughter was pregnant, friends and family gave her boxes and boxes of shirts and pants and onesies for infants. A majority of the apparel had only been worn once or even not at all. By the time her newborn son reached his first birthday, many of those baby items were still in pristine condition. This worked out great because we learned that my girlfriend's daughter became pregnant shortly after. So we sent her the mountains of infant-wear. Between what we sent and what my stepdaughter's friends and family gave her, I understand that she had to buy another house for the storage space.

I can't think of anything more cost-effective than this process of giving hand-me-downs to those who need them. Yet, in spite of the avalanche of baby wear, this did not deter the moms and the sisters and the female friends from buying yet more clothing to bestow upon expecting mothers. I don't know if it is a female trait that causes them to be motivated by the cuteness factor of the frock. Or perhaps it's that maternal instinct that causes lapses in memory about the tonnage of clothes already acquired. But in any case, I think the baby clothing industry may be in for an apocalyptic bubble bursting.

[continued in "My Future Predictions (Part 2)"]

No comments: