Translate

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Pizza dough for humor

Share
Have you ever seen old pizza dough? Today at work, I watched what happens as a tray of dough reaches the end of its shelf life. Image a nine inch patty of dough that used to be white, now grayish and growing tumorous-looking bubbles. There it is, sitting, waiting to be made into a pizza. Yum! I ask my manager if I should throw it out. Touting the Domino’s policy, she said, “No, they need to be saved.” Saved? I could only say, “Well, you can take it to church but I don’t think that that will do it any good.” Then I pointed my finger at the dough and asked sternly, “Have you accepted Jesus as your lord and savior? Yes, I know YOU are risen but that’s not the same.” I turned to my manager who was now looking at me with open mouth look of astonishment. “We could baptize it if you’d like,” I said, “but I think we’re dealing with heathen!”

Now I’ve only worked with this manager a few days over the past couple of weeks. She thinks that I’m a quiet, hard-working kind of guy. But being an introvert has its advantages, especially when you say and act completely unexpected. And then you get to sit back and watch them connect the dots of the joke in their mind. Some do it slower than others. I think that they aren’t completely sure if I’m serious or joking. When they realize that it is a joke, their face lights up with such sheer joy that it is a wonder to watch. After hearing about all of her frustrations from that week, her laughter was rewarding. I like it when I can be a pleasant change of pace.

No comments: