Translate

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day

Share
Had my father been alive today, we would have celebrated his 74th birthday. But since he died at the ripe age of 57, all I can do is think about what might have transpired between the two of us. Yes, I have a lot of regrets now. During my high school years, he would come home after a long day and I would hear my mother or my sisters say, “ Dad’s home!” The idiot that I was would remain in my room and wouldn’t see him until supper. I didn’t realize how will important it is to have your children acknowledge your existence, that is until they didn’t say “happy father’s day” or “happy birthday”.

My girlfriend surprised me today. She woke me up with fresh coffee and breakfast from McDonald’s. I now realize that the she bought the meal with money that I gave her for gas so that she could come and visit me. Still, it’s the thought and the effort that touched me. Shortly after our breakfast, she returned to her home to celebrate father stayed with her dad. And I headed out to pick up my youngest and spend some time with my children. Only my oldest son mentioned anything about father’s day. Of course, only a really good father can have permission to feel hurt by his other children’s forgetfulness.

No comments: