Translate

Monday, February 20, 2006

Unbelievable

Share

Today I thought that the worst thing that could happen would be traveling through ice and snow to finalize the property settlement of the divorce. So I drove forward, determined like the postman, to not let the rain nor the snow nor ice stop me from get this divorce over with. Fortunately the hazardous weather proved to be minimal. I traveled three hours and arrived in time to sign my part of the paperwork. I would take on her debt including the irs mess, and refinance the house so that she could get several thousand dollars as part of the proceeds. On Friday, this was all good with her. I sent her maps and directions to make sure that she would have no problem traveling two hours to meet me. With all the deadlines, this had to be done by today.

Unfortunately, she never showed up! She never called! She never even returned my calls that I made to her voice mail to make sure that she was OK. Reluctantly I had to call my son to get a hold her because they were about to cancel the loan. And what does she do? She yells at my son for calling her! I apologized to him but it was ok with him. My children understand all to well with what I’ve been putting up with.

At this point I have no idea what is going on. She had an opportunity to have this all done in July of 2005. But at the eleventh hour, called and said the her lawyer didn't want her to sign anything. WTF! Everyone else had told her everything was in her favor ... as in this time. In any case, because she didn’t show, the loan company tore up all the paperwork. I must start all over again resubmitting everything. I can't wait to deal with the irs bureaucracy again.

Ultimately, I'm the idiot. I can’t believe that I put up with her and her irrational behavior for 25 years. And I can’t believe that it took me 25 years to learn that there is a difference between being a gentleman and being a doormat.

It could be worse I suppose. I could be in the middle of mudslide in the Philippines, trapped in the dark, confined and confused, praying for release from my muddy prison. Instead I am here: trapped in the dark, confined and confused, and praying for an end to this muddied madness. My only saving grace is the hope that I can get out of this alive.

I know that there's some humor here, I'm just to tired to see it just yet.... adapt, adopt, improve, right?

No comments: