Translate

Sunday, July 29, 2012

A WTF Saturday.

Share
Stepping outside, I began yesterday morning with: Why couldn't my car passengers take just a few minutes last night and close the car's door? Wait a minute! Why did they leave my car's truck slightly open?

Bewildering observations. Then a sudden realization. All followed by a sicken feeling in my stomach. I rushed around to the other side of my car and found, proudly saluting me, a raised gas tank cover. Someone had tampered with every car door, including the engine hood.

Inside the car, strewn across the passenger seat, sat the contents of the glove box. Yet, from that pile of lamps, fuses, gum, and state-required paperwork, nothing was missing. That's when my anguish turned into incredulous curiosity.

I frantically searched through my car, taking inventory. Yet, only a small, $15 FM transmitter, used to play my music on the car's radio, had been taken. Everything else was intact: audio cords, USB adapter, a traffic camera that I was testing for work. The gas tank guage still showed full. My tools and a power inverter remained safe in the truck. The battery from the engine compartment appeared untouched. The thief even left my spare change, mostly quarters, in the ashtray. Aside from my FM transmitter, my car wasn't attacked by a thief; it was ransacked by a practical joker.

I won't mind if someone broke into my house and stole all my dirt and trash. If only all thieves could be so pleasant. I would leave my doors unlock. I would wait as a child waits in hushed excitement for Santa Claus, full of hope that a thief would visit and steal my home clean. That would be a Christmas miracle! And we should all be so lucky.

So, why did some stranger break into my car? Instead of detailing the interior and washing the outside, they only left a mess.

So as my sphincter-tightening adventure ended for the day, I closed all the car doors and went for a spin. Then I stopped twirling around and drove my car. It ran fine. I felt better. Still a little violated, but better.

1 comment:

Cperz said...

I am trying to get caught up on my reading so I am more than a little slow getting over here.

Well, that sucks. Even if they only took one small item it is still an invasion of your space. Usually car breakins are just about electronics. My car radio is standard issue so no one would bother.

I have had my house burglarized in the past and they don't clean on the way out. They managed to get the jewelry and cash and flip, empty, turn inside-out everything in the house. As I was left to clean up the huge mess, I got angrier and angier.

I am sorry that happened to you. Hopefully whoever it was will get caught when trying it again at someone else's house.

PS the verification code that I am having to type in to send this is lat gal 37...is your blog trying to rub my tardiness in?