Translate

Monday, May 21, 2012

When the truth isn't helpful or pretty.

Share
The economy must be getting better. Lately, ego boosting want-ads from recruiters have popped up in my email inbox. On LinkedIn, I see several job offerings tempting me with promises of greener pastures. I want to pursue them further. But I don't. I can't. As much as my current job takes advantage of me, as much as they underpay me, as much as I complain about my work, I have to admit the truth - my company has spoiled me. Actually, over the years, they have deviously corrupted my work habits and expectations. They have seductively conditioned me to accepting second-best. Now, I fear of getting a new job somewhere else.

For example, let's say that another company woos me away with promises of better pay and reasonable responsibilities. After a few short days of that employment heaven, I learn that they use proper techniques and standardized work habits. Oh no! Can I change my sloppy, corner-cutting ways quick enough to meet their expectations? What if they discovered my incompetent habits? Will they fired me or promote me into upper management with the other incompetent boobs?

Scarier still, what if I joined another seemingly ideal company, only to learn that they have worse techniques and work habits. It would be like jumping from one leaking ship to one that is sinking faster than the Titanic or the stock price of Facebook.

There is the third possibility of a wonderful run business that rewards its employees instead of treating them as a necessary evil. But we all know that the Googles and the SASs of the world are rare. And I can't compete with a billion other job seekers. So I'm faced with living with the lessor of two evils.

No comments: