Translate

Monday, May 21, 2012

electrifying relationships

Share
I wish relationships were as straightforward as my work in electronics. I can take two pieces of unrelated wire, melt a little solder into the copper strands of each cable, and twist them together. By adding a little more heat, the solder intermingles and joins the two wires into one unified formation. Finally, I cover the bare embrace of copper with a covering of heatshrink to protect my new creation from the corrosive forces of the outside world.

When I try to join my life with that of a desirable woman, yes, there's heat involved and some wonderful intermingling. Yet, I have no way of protecting this new creation from those caustic influences outside or inside of our fragile embrace.

What was easy to create, now becomes a nightmare in troubleshooting: How to those emotions become short-circuited? What caused our love to overload into anger? What eroded our minutes of happiness into hours of frustration?

More than once, I find myself wishing that my EE degree would be an RE degree: instead of proficiency as an electronic engineer, I wish I had the skill and training as a relationship engineer.

But here I am. Tons of heat shrink at my disposal and none of it of any use.

No comments: