Translate

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

today's lesson

Share
Today, I learned about two things I can't count on - my former spouse and the social security administration. My ex has yet to send my son his SS card and birth certification. With the final sign-up of college fast approaching, it was up to me to save the day.

The very informative web site for this effective government agency had listed their hours as 8 am to 5 pm. At 7:45am on this day of my vacation, my son and I stood at the doors of the social security office and read the faded lettering on the front door of the building: "open 9 am to 4 pm". (A paper notice taped to the window said that hours would change on August 15th to 9 am to 3:30pm.) Yes, sir! The very peak of government effectiveness.

Fortunately, there were only two others waiting for the SSA doors to open when we arrived. They also learned that same wonderful surprise about the hours. By 9am, they had left and we were number one in a line that stretched around the building.

During the seemingly endless wait for the security guards to unlock the entrance, I would glance at the gathering of my fellow SSA customers. Soon one burning question filled my mind (mainly to keep the boredom from overtaking it) - did beautiful people ever do business here? I don't mean to be mean but, for example, one toothless woman was wearing a pink tank-top with the word "Rebel" printed across her saggy, braless front. Whatever she was rebelling against, I think she succeeded. The question bothered me until I caught site of myself in the door's window pane. Yep, beautiful people don't frequent here ... you can count on that.

No comments: