Translate

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Looking out for my friends

Share
Yesterday, I received an email from a job recruiter offering employment at $17 an hour as a field technician. I've done enough field technician work during my past 30 year career. I've had more than enough traveling and dealing with strangers' daily problems. However, I do know at least 4 other people who could use this experience and especially are due this pay raise.

My co-workers are my friends and family. I find their happiness and that of their families important to me. The first thing I did was talk to my 4 friends about this potentially helpful email. Once I had their permission, I forwarded the opportunity-knocking-at-the-door message to their in-boxes. Now, the next step is up to them.

Of course, I had to agonize a day about whether I should do even let them know about this job offer. If they leave, the company and the remaining co-workers will suffer -- especially me. The technical work they perform now will be added to the few of us that remain. And I have a better chance at winning the lottery than my beloved employers hiring more help. Still, if a business wants to treat its employees as a necessary evil, then perhaps they need to start losing their talented work force. Losing our jobs with an incompetent firm isn't a bad thing ...

No comments: