Translate

Thursday, October 07, 2010

My Review of Roku XD Player

Share

Originally submitted at Roku

The new XD steps it up with 1080p HD video quality and extended-range wireless.


Bad Picture Quality

By Ron from North Carolina on 10/7/2010

 

1out of 5

Pros: Easy to set up, Easy to use

Cons: Poor picture quality, Inconsistent performance

Describe Yourself: Netflix fan, Power User, Early adopter, Technophile

At first, I thought I had a bad unit. The Roku-XD produced a strobing effect in the video. It reminded me of the old Macrovision copy protection feature used in playing VHS tapes. There were horizontal bands of brightest and darkest and seem to happen only during when there is sound. I used the composite video output to an old standard TV (no HDMI involved). If I adjust the brightness and contrast down enough, the strobing in the video is almost gone. Of course, the picture quality is very dark.

I must say that Roku's customer support is excellent! Within a week, I had a replacement unit. But, sadly, it has the same problem of strobing video.

I still have the unit I bought last year and it works very well. In fact, it has more video out options that Roku's newer models. I think Roku may have gone to a very cheap digital-to-analog conversion chip set.

(legalese)

2 comments:

Mr. Showman said...

I enjoyed this post. Great Blog. Bookmarked your blog. Keeping coming with great posts like this.

stevewckrt said...

I also really enjoyed this post.