Translate

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Accident Lawyers

Share
I caught a commercial by an attorney of a Raleigh accident lawyers group. He spoke about being upset by recent portrayals as an overpriced ambulance chaser. He talked about the joys he finds in helping people get whats due them and in getting paid a justifiable fee in the process.

Now who doesn't want justice to be served? Who can fault anyone for being paid a reasonable fee for their work? My qualm is with rewarding people for accidents caused by stupidity. Remember the restaurant who had to reward a woman when she spilled hot coffee on her lap? Or the furniture store forced into retribution to a woman who tripped over her misbehaving son and broke her ankle? Where is the justice in winning jury settlements for these potential candidates of the Darwin Awards?

I can understand the attorney's concern. Still, it's not like silly lawsuits are rare events. So if you'll excuse me, I'm going to pour ice water on my lap and sue myself for hypothermia. I'm sure I'll be able to find a lawyer who will help ...

No comments: