Translate

Monday, May 07, 2007

The Tide verse The Wave

Share
Before the lemming-like crowd movement known as the "Wave", there was the "Tide". At least it was in my high school. Those in the front row would explosively jump up and throw their hands in the air. The row behind them would do the same while the first row would regain their sensibility to sit back down. This continued with each row until the very back seats got to show that they too would jump off of a bridge if their best friends did so.

Because the cheerleaders would initiate this during our high school pep rallies, it was known as a "Pep Tide". Unfortunately, this explanation of a peptides did not help me pass my biology exam. All I remember is that amino acids come together to form peptides and proteins. Then, as now, I failed because I didn't know the distinction between peptides and proteins. But here we are 30 years later. I've just read that scientist themselves don't have a clear distinction between the two. Today I learned that there now is a "movement" in the scientific community to define a peptide as "an amino acid molecule without secondary structure; on gaining defined structure, it is a protein." Great! Just wonderful! I guess it's a bit too late to pass the exam now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard that we look back five years ago and say we are stupid and that five years from now we will do the same. I think that this same principle exists for blogs. So many people always look to see what others do and take little time to actually go through and find out for themselves. They follow the advice of the blind only to fall off the cliff.

Mark said...

lol good analogy. peptides. oh i share your sympathy, i also sucked at bio! ;(

comment on me as well if you have the time, i'd appreciate it.

thanks, rob

Anon A. Mus said...

Cade: I've already looked by on some of my posts from a year ago and thought, "What was I thinking?!" Good Point! You might have noticed my picture showing a lemming wearing an inner tube ... bucking the trend! LOL

Rob: Thanks for stopping by. I will be visiting your site shortly.