Translate

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Spring Cleaning

Share
Yesterday was the day! I finally had some time to do a little housecleaning that was a few years overdue. I hauled out several items to the street: concrete weights that had split their plastic covering, papason chair frame with broken supports, a futon frame with cracked cross beams, 3 dead computers, a heater that worked great only in the summer, and a malfunctioning dvd player (though perfect for not playing really bad movies). The electronics gear I had been planning to repair for a few years. But I barely have time to maintain my blogs, so who am I trying to fool. So out to the side of the street they went for the trash day.

A few hours later, I happened to look out on to my pile of discarded memories. Almost everything disappeared! It happened so quickly that city employees could not have been involved. While I don't live on a main thorough fare, there must be people who circle like vultures just waiting to descend on the carcasses of other peoples' junk ... which is a good thing. In fact, this was even better than having a yard sale. I didn't have to get a permit, didn't have to maintain a constant vigilance for potential customers, didn't have to have lots of coins ready for the big spenders, didn't have to haggle about any prices. Within a few short hours, my trash had been picked clean, save the carcass of the boxes and exercise weights (I guess these people have their standards). I could understand it if I had put quality teak outdoor furniture out for the trash. But no! It was junk! But I'm not complaining. If someone found treasure in my want-nots, then it's less material for the land fill. Everybody wins!

No comments: