Translate

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Cheated as an altar boy

Share
When I turned 11, I became an altar boy, which is difficult to do when you're Jewish. Just kidding. I was an altar girl. Nah, kidding again. I was an boy and raised in a very catholic household. Yet, at no time did I ever hear about priest molesting anyone. There was an adult who was deemed "brother" and acted as the priest's helper. Of course, we all wondered about some of his friendly ways but never heard about him harming anyone. So, aside from being slapped by Nuns in the second grade, no religious authority ever touched me in a special way. I guess that I should be glad about that. At the same time, I can't help but think ... was there something wrong with me? Was I not cute enough, not desirable enough? Did I not look angelic kneeling in my white cassock with submissively folded hands? Is there something that no one was telling me? Is this why I didn't lose my virginity until I was 19? I think that I'm cute and cuddlely. You know, I was cheated ... and enormously grateful that I was. :)

No comments: