Translate

Saturday, September 29, 2012

The 'Secret' of Writing Great Stories?

Share
I can't give you exact reasons why but "Chronicles of Riddick" is one of my favorite movies. Tonight, I watched it again for the first time in a few years. But now, when I watch movies and read books, it's to understand the how and the why of compelling stories.

One aspect of this science-fiction thriller that caught my attention was the protagonist, Riddick, versus the antagonist, Lord Marshal. Throughout the movie, Riddick deals with self-doubt and incredible setbacks. The overlord has none of these hindrances. The villain acts with a single-minded focus and complete confidence of achieving his evil goals.

As I think back to the Harry Potter movies, there seem to be the same set up with Harry and Voldemort - a hero with self-conflicted drama versus overly optimistic bad guy.

Is this the secret to well-written fiction?

2 comments:

Cperz said...

I think any story, fiction or nonfiction, seems to draw us in if there is an underdog.

There are a lot of reasons I could never be a great writer but character development and complex plot twists are beyond my reach as a writer. I think the great stories are produced by people that can do those things extremely well.

Anon A. Mus said...

Cheryl, you are talented writer. The returning visitors to your blogs are proof of that.

And yes, people love Underdog ... with or without Polly Purebred. (Or am I dating myself with that reference?)