Translate

Monday, October 17, 2011

Goodbye, my dear friend

Share
This morning, I stopped at my friend's doorway as I have been doing every couple weeks or so for the past 30 years. As I walked up to his always inviting entrance-way, I noticed that none of the lights were on inside. Then I saw the "property for sale" sign stuck in the lawn by the public sidewalk. Suddenly, I had the sicken realization that my friend of 30 years was gone.

Just this past weekend, I could have sworn that I had seen people coming and going to his same inviting entrance-way. His place has been a favorite of all the locals since it first opened. But there was no mistaking now that something had happened. While there was no sign posted in any of the windows, the marquee unmistakably read "closed".

I don't know what has happened for Spring Lake's famous Biscuit Kitchen to suddenly shut their doors. There is nothing in the news about this tragedy. Of course, journalism has never been a forte in this area.

For being such a small restaurant, it has touched the lives and memories of many people with its warmth, with its incredibly delicious food, and with the wonderfully staff of mothers who cooked as though every customer was one of their children in need of a really good meal.

Goodbye, my dear friend. You will be missed more than you know.

No comments: