Translate

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

don't forget to remember not to forget about remembering

Share
You probably heard that old adage about how we only use 10% of our brain's capacity. Given the results of our political election, I wonder if 10% is being too generous.

In any case, I seem to be red-lining my mental capacity. Lately, my mind seems to repeatedly bump against its limit for storing memories and events. It's as if my brain has become a glass cup completely full of colorful marbles. As I add another shiny sphere to my mental container, it either rolls off unnoticed and goes missing or gets in the way as I frantically search for a different marble.

For example, as I walk by people that I've worked with for the past 20 years, I suddenly realize that their name alludes me. I end up greeting them with an embarrassingly halty, "Hey … you."

Recently, I was introducing myself to a new client. For a split second, I couldn't recall my own name! I almost used his monogram. "Wow! We have the same name. All the good people have our name. Let's be the bestest of friends!" This might be a great schmoozing technique until he calls me by his name and I forget about my lie.

The solution is obvious. I am going to have to buy several neck chains and name picture frames. Each frame will be stylish enough that my friends will want to wear them around their necks. More importantly, each frame will have a friend’s name large enough so that I can read it from a fair distance away --- a mile should be a good start.

I will also have this creative memory clue for myself. However, to the casual observer, my displayed name will appear upside down. This is for my benefit. If I have another "senior moment", I'll only have to look down to be reminded of who I am … as long as I remember not to wear the frame backwards. "In" might be a unique middle name, but I don't think saying, "Hi, I'm Mr. China. You can call me Made," will go over very well.

No comments: