Translate

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

RIP Pope AFB

Share
30 years ago, the military stationed me at Pope Air Force base. During my four year tour, I bought the house in the surrounding area and have been held hostage by the mortgage payments ever since.

But this post isn't about my hostage situation. Today, Pope AFB became Pope AF – Pope Army Field. As part of the base realignment, Fort Bragg took over Pope this morning without firing a shot – just a scribble of pens and an exchange of salutes between a couple of generals from the respective military branches.

About a thousand airmen will remain to handle continued air support. But the hundred thousand troops at Fort Bragg will now have more square miles to romp and play in. And I will watch as my surrounding area changes even more with the influx of thousands of more solders.

No comments: