Translate

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Is The Task Simple? No, Only I Am.

Share
Why does simple task always turn into the most time-consuming, wallet-draining, profanity-inducing event in our already crisis laden lives? I thought, and maybe that was my first mistake, that I would fix my kitchen faucet's year old tiny leak. I had put off the repair for several months because I knew that winter would eventually arrive. If it brought any sub zero temperatures, I would already have a dripping faucet in place to keep the pipes from freezing. (It's not procrastination. Just good planning!) And now it's almost summer. I've been assured (by the news media and a few scientists whose grant money is dependent upon proving human-caused global warming) that future winters have been replaced by a lengthy autumn.

So I thought I would start out this Memorial Day weekend with a little home repair work. Besides, how complicated can kitchen faucets be -- a pipe, a metal ball with a few holes, and a couple of washers. I questioned my simpleton confidence only after I realized the faucet had been assembled during World War II and had not been taken apart since. My plumbing tools now expanded to include WD-40 and a sledgehammer. The real fun began when I reached under the sink to turn off the water supply. Where shutoff valves should have been, I found welded pipe. Eventually I found the shutoff valve or rather, its location --- outside, housed in a cement ring. The handle to the valve was conveniently protected from easy access by at least a foot of dirt that had accumulated from years of muddy rain washing into the ring. It's never a good thing when plumbing involves the use of a shovel.

Sometimes the easiest way to fix something is rename the situation. Thanks to my previous repair attempt, the drips are now an ever increasing flow of water. So this Memorial Day weekend, it can be said that I "built" my very own kitchen fountain. All I need to do now is buy flood insurance.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always a treat when the sledgehammer comes into play.

Anonymous said...

This post is hilarious. I wish I had something clever to add. I especially like your sink fountain, I bet it could be sold on ebay!

Anonymous said...

Murphy's Law I'm sure applies... :)

Anonymous said...

No it is not a simple job. It is really hard. Anyway, I like your shot. It is good. Thanks

Oh, your red scarf matches your eyes said...

Nothing is worse than a drip under pressure

Anonymous said...

I especially like your sink fountain, I bet it could be sold on e bay. It is really hard. Anyway, I like your shot. It is good.