Translate

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

hair today, gone tomorrow

Share
Lately, several of my older male friends are complaining about their increasing baldness. I've told them that it's just a matter of their forehead out-growing their hair but that doesn't seem to help matters. So here is my explanation of baldness.

First of all, not only does hair grow out from the head, but the follicles grow into the skull as well. After a time, these hair roots reach the brain and begin absorbing the ol' gray matter. This is why your hair turns gray. The amount of brain material that one has determines how long this process continues. Once a follicle runs out of brain cells to feed on, the hair dies and falls out --- hence, baldness.

Some guys take this all in stride. They'll polish their chrome dome and take time to reflect on their circumstances (sometimes blindingly so). Others will resort to wigs, hair transplants (in fact, let me get a plug in for a hair doctor: Dr. Larry Shapiro. Pun intended) and spray paint. Still others let their eyebrows grow incredibly long for that "comb back" look. As for me, I'm not worried. Just because I'm going gray doesn't mean anything. Although my head has started feeling a little lighter lately and it has become harder to remember things. In any case, the best advice for avoiding falling hair is to simply stand out of its way...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someone once told me that men who are bald in the front think a lot. And men who are bald in the back are sexy. So, what about the men who are bald in both the front and back?

They just THINK they are SEXY! ;)