Translate

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

war on, women.

Share
My wonderful daughter sent me an e-mail asking, "What are some good reliable news sites? My friend brought up this whole "war on women" thing and I wanted to do some digging on it. I'm looking into some of the craziness already but I figured you would know what sites would be more trustworthy than others."

This is a difficult question to answer. I mean, the "war on women" is such a broad issue (no pun intended; well, maybe a little one). No surprise that this topic is just in time for the upcoming election. I suspect "war on women" will be like the "war on drugs" and the "war on poverty" - lots of needless money spent, lots of needless struggles, lots of political hot air, and lots of unhappy people. So, here we are, in the middle of yet another slippery election issue - one where everyone will define it to match their agenda.

You can tell the phrase "war on women" is just a way to bait people into silly arguments. Is anyone is really up to fighting women? How about just their female relatives? "All right, Grandma, it's you verses me! Pick your weapon! And, this time, no biting or gumming allowed!"

Of course, maybe someone just got lazy with a comma. Maybe the phrase is supposed to be "War on, Women!" in the spirit of women's liberation; or, in support of women's jello wrestling competitions. What do I know.

Which brings us to finding unbiased news sites. That falls in the imaginary realm of finding honest politicians, jumbo shrimp, and checks in the mail. You and I will have to read materials from several perspectives, mull it over a beer or three, and watch that no one tries restricting our freedoms or takes (as opposed to earns or asks for) our hard-won money.

Anyway, my loving daughter has asked an excellent question. So let me look for objective sources of information on this issue - if such creatures exist. I'll see what I can find for us and let you know.

No comments: