Translate

Saturday, April 07, 2012

How did they get my credit card?.

Share
"Hello, this is your bank. Please return our call as soon as possible. This is not a solicitation call, but in regards to your credit card with us. Please call us as soon as possible."

So started my day as I awoke to find this message on my answering machine. My initial thought wondered how valid the call was. Have you ever had the phone company or the cable company ring you up for a friendly chat on what you think of their product, and, oh by the way, "would you like to add a few extra services to your bill?" It wouldn't be the first time some sleazy salesperson with corrupt definition of "not a solicitation call" had me call them back.

Yet, the bank representative did have an air of urgency in her voice. Reluctantly, I dialed the number left in the message. Maybe in their little, black, banking hearts, guilt had made they give up the evils of charging me interest. But no. Turns out that, somehow, somewhere, someone got hold of my credit card's number and made several large purchases.

This amazed me. How did the thief know my credit card number? I had not bought anything in a several months. Besides, there, in my sweating hand, was my compromised card. Are we dealing with psychic criminals now? No, the bank rep speculated that someone may have hack into a merchant's site, or simply had access to a business's old records. He said they would be investigating and not to worry.

So, with new plastic money on the way, I'm cutting up my now-cancelled card. And, just to be safe, I'm also wrapping my head in tin foil. We can't risk someone trying to read my mind for account numbers now, can we.

No comments: