Translate

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Thoughts On Clerkless Checkout Lines

Share
Is there any good reason to use the self checkout lines at the stores? You would think that the store would give you a discount when they don't have to pay an employee to check out your shopping items. But, no!

So the only advantage I can find in using a clerk-less register is when you buy items that you rather nobody else know about. For us older guys, that's usually hair dye, Beano, diet pills, alcohol and the latest copy of Maxim magazine. Is there anything worse than that condescending look from some judgmental cashier as she scans your precious purchases? Yes, there is!

If the register has problems identifying an item, you're back to those embarrassing pages for price checks ... which is what happened to me when I went to pick up feminine hygiene products for my girlfriend. As a clerk gave me a smirk while reaching for her malicious microphone, I said, "I'm sorry. I picked up the wrong thing. I thought I had got 'Break Pads for Men'." She stopped in mid-grab and her smirk changed to a quizzical expression. So I added, "You know that product for men that has the motto 'When skid marks aren't just for the road.'" Sometimes stunned bafflement is all you need to quickly pay for your purchases and leave. Unfortunately my girlfriend wasn't impressed when I arrived home with an unpadded grocery bill.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always try and avoid them. I bet 70% of people can't get through them without some kind of problem. It's quicker to go to the good old-fashioned checkout with a real person there.

Anonymous said...

Yeah right! That is a fun story, I also feel bad sometimes!
I used to work at a liquor store, and the funny thing were the alcoholics. They use to coma back several times a day and they always had an excuse, "the bottle i had bought, felt while in the stairs", "i am having some guests tonight", "i had an horrible day", etc...
You should see how funny life can be sometimes!