Translate

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Happy new calendar day!

Share
Last night, I watched some of the craziness on television: a sparkly Ryan Seacrest covering for Dick Clark, an aging Jenny McCarthy attacking anyone in a uniform, and the highly-hyped performance of Justin Bieber. I listened to my neighborhood erupting into a combat zone of celebratory explosions. And, of course, I read the overflowing repetition of Twitter's obvious trend for the evening - "the fiscal cliff". Sorry, "Happy New Year".

Were the Mayans this enthusiastic when they changed their 2 ton stone calendar? I'm sure someone started their new year with a hernia. Not to worry though. The Mayan priest/doctor easily fixed that painful hernia at sunrise when the calendar changer had his heart sacrificially ripped out.

Of course, these days we don't have to worry about those kind of heart breaks at year's end. We have the more agonizing holiday ritual of "Sorry. It's not you, it's me."

I'm not saying that the Mayans didn't get worked up last night. At least one group wet themselves when the year's number increase by 1 - that party pack of girls named Maya. (Or Maia. That missing "I" in team has to go somewhere.) Justin Bieber's appearance may have helped their fervor a little too.

Anyway, this year I resolve not to make any resolutions. What's the point? When I break the word down, I get re-solutions. "Re" as in "again". And, "solutions" as in "something that you've already fixed". Why would I spend time fixing something all over again? Do we really need to live by motto, "if it's not broke then ... you didn't try hard enough."?

Maybe that's why we make "resolutions". We didn't fix it right the first time. Maybe that's why the ancient Mayan civilization disappeared. They didn't make a resolution to meet Justin Bieber. And fix him. Hopefully, our modern group of Mayans (and MaIans) have a better chance.

2 comments:

Cperz said...

I admire your stamina. The minute Jenny McCarthy started having the contest to vote on who she could kiss, I turned the channel. I personally could care less who she kisses.

I do make resolutions and they are pretty much the same each year. The RE is certainly true in my case. I always clean up my diet and exercise so I am in great shape until Halloween then I go nuts for about 8 weeks and forget everything I ever knew about diet and exercise. Then I resolve to get back in shape. Vicious circle that works for me.

Hope you have a great year. Try to avoid future encounters with Justin Bieber. There is never a good ending to watching a cocky kid get paid a gazillion dollars for being a cocky kid.

Anon A. Mus said...

Thanks, Cheryl! I hope you have a great 2013!