Translate

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Traveling Across America

Share
This week, my sister is traveling with her husband as he pilots his 18-wheeler across the country. After reading her emails, I want to quit my job and travel to all those places that aren't 'here'.

I don't know if I would take anyone along. While it may be easy to find a travel companion, it's got to be much, much harder to get rid of one - sort of like a disastrous marriage. What would be the proper etiquette for traveling divorce? Maybe fling open your companion's door while driving fast, then give them a good shove while shouting, "Tuck and roll, Baby!"

Yes, I know it's not the best of ideas to travel alone. Although, most of the time, I drive by myself. It's not bad. If my singing gets too annoying, I tell myself to shut up. If I feel lonely, I just hug the road.

Still, given my car's condition, perhaps I should have a mechanic follow me in his auto parts truck. I wonder how exciting it would be getting towed across America?

1 comment:

Cperz said...

I love traveling by myself, although I rarely do it. When we were younger and my husband's job took more of his time I would drive the 12 hours to get home and visit our parents. As our parents are all deceased now, I have no reason to make the trip regularly.

My husband and I travel very well together but I am less inclined to sing out loud with anyone having to endure it.

I think driving an 18 wheeler would be fun...maybe just once for the experience. My husband and I have a farm with a few 18 wheelers but I can't shift them. I need a driver that understands gears. Seemingly, my husband and his brothers aren't keen on me stripping the gears so they aren't eager to teach me.