Translate

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What Do I Want for Christmas?

Share
"What do you want for Christmas?", they keep asking me. Oh, I don't know ... how about a brand-new Lamborghini? OH! You know what! $1 million would be the bestest present in the world right now (I could pay for grammar lessons).

I don't say this to my yuletide inquisitors, of course. Mainly because they lack the means to fulfill my Christmas desires. So I respond pleasantly, "I'm good. As long as I have you in my life, all is well."

Yet, my sincere statement fails to satisfy any of them. When Christmas rolls around, I'll receive the usual gifts that I would never buy for myself: ties, socks, and plastic singing fish.

These well-intentioned goodies put me in the awkward position. I feel I now owe my generous Santas some small token to show my appreciation for the money that they wasted on me.

I don't need any tradition-based day to take care of my family and friends. When they need something vital to overcome a rough spot in their life, or they need something just let them know how important they are to me, I take care of them. I do this throughout the year - with or without them knowing their benefactor. Do I really need a special day to attend those who are special to me?

So. unless you have the means and desire to lavished me with some outrageously extravagant gift, without needing me to return the gesture - save your money. Spend it on yourself, or save up for a rainy day. The upcoming year will be filled lots of rainy days anyway. In any case, don't worry about me. Just give me a smile, your warmest hug, and your heartfelt love. We will be all right.

No comments: