Translate

Thursday, February 17, 2011

What's Not In Your Wallet?

Share
It is my understanding that part of your credit score is based on how much you owe on a credit card compared to what the credit limit is for that card. Seems straightforward enough. You make your payments, you keep your nose clean, and your available credit goes up along with your credit score. Yet, in all of the games that you get to play as an adult, be it video or mating or career, none will have you doubting the decency of humanity more than that of your credit score.

I don't think anyone has been playing this game more intensely than myself. For the past six years, I've done everything I can to pay down my former spouse's credit cards. (I acquired those treasures six years ago as terms of my divorce --- or as I like to refer to a it "ransom for my freedom".) You would think by now that my efforts should've put my credit score on par with that of billionaires. But no. Every couple years, I get a letter from this one particular credit card company letting me know that, thanks to my excellent payment history, they are reducing my credit limit. This company has mottoes such as "Embracing Integrity", which, of course, differs from actually practicing integrity; and "think what we can do for you" (because it's nothing compared to what we're going to do to you).

I'm not sure why this one company has me in their anti--customer campaign sights. It's not like I have a bankruptcy on my credit report. The only thing my data shows is a stellar record of working myself to death to pay off the marital ransom that I took on.

It's too bad I'm not rich enough to borrow for myself. Or maybe I should become a small democratic nation. I will elect myself to office every four years on promises to do a better job with my debt. And when that doesn't happen, I'll just blame the previous administration.

No comments: