Translate

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

to sketch for money or ...

Share
A friend emailed me to ask how much I would charge to do a portrait for her salon. Charge? I know that she has seen my work of years gone by. But, could I do something like that now? And charge her for it? She's not a close friend but her friendship is important enough that I don't want to ruin it with a bad picture that she feels obligated to buy.

Looking through my old sketches, I found this picture that you're looking at that I did about five years ago. Could I draw something this again? At the moment, the thought overwhelms me --- the planning, the pre-work, the time needed. Lately, I feel like I've let yet another possible skill die. And to justify charging money? In the past, I've undercut myself to the point of not being profitable. I guess that's why agents were created.

I haven't answered my friend yet. It's kind of embarassing to tell someone, "Yeah, I'd love to do a portrait for you but I haven't drawn in a couple of years and I have tremendous doubts about my ability to meet your expectations." You got to be very humble to lay yourself open like that to someone --- and very trusting. I'm just beginning to get the ability to trust back. I think that I ........

No comments: