Translate

Monday, April 08, 2013

Forgive me, Old Friend.

Share
We've been together for over 12 years. I thought - I hoped - that we would go further. But age wears on all things - our bodies, our minds, our relationships.

You probably don't know how excited I was in early September of 2001 when we first got together. I know you won't understand how important you were in all of my adventures since then. And you will never feel the depth and pain of my regret when we parted company this past Saturday.

I have no misgivings for the time and money I spent to care for you - especially these past few months. But I can no longer depend upon you. You've let me down one too many times.

After 325,500 miles, you served your purpose. If I were a rich man, I could have kept you restored in an immortal glory. Of course, if I were a rich man, your successor would not have been a cheap replacement.

I never understood how anyone could love a 2-ton hunk of metal and plastic and oil. But then you came into my life. Thank you, my dear, inanimate friend, my motoring companion of the road. Thank you for keeping me alive and safe and employed.

2 comments:

Cperz said...

I am amazed!!!! I have never had a car or truck that hardly made it over 100K miles. Usually when I am told the repair on something is bordering on the value of the actual car, I run to the nearest car dealer.

Anon A. Mus said...

"Old Friend" was a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon. I've written about some of my adventures with it on this blog.

Before my Tiburon, I had a 1987 Nissan Stanza Wagon and drove it for 405,000 before it become too unreliable for the road.

Would you say that I got my money's worth? Let's see how this new one does ... :D