Translate

Saturday, April 09, 2011

Silence isn't worth the trouble

Share
I would like to think that I'm now a little wiser and more resourceful than my youthful days. So when the local pawn shop made a big deal about paying lots of cash for any gold you brought in, I decided put my wisdom and resourcefulness to work and learning just how much money I could make.

I went to the pawn shop and told proprietor that I was interested in his "cash for gold” program. He then asked me what I had to offer. I gave most friendly smile, compose myself, and then stood there as quietly as possible. After all, everyone knows that "silence is golden" and I can be extremely silent when need be.

After a few minutes of staring at each other, the clerk moved his hand ever so slowly under the counter, and then continued his gaze upon me. We stood there for so long that I began to think that the silence-to-gold conversion rate must be very low. As I began to wonder how many minutes of silence would get me even a dollar, two police officers suddenly tackled me from behind.

Once they had the handcuffs on me, they immediately wanted to know what I was doing. I explained the brilliant wisdom of my "silence is golden” into “cash for gold” line of thought. "What are you?! Some kind of wise guy?" asked one officer. "Apparently not wise enough." I answered. The second officer then said, "Well, you have the right to remain silent … for what it's worth."

No comments: